Parent to Parent Mentor Training
The DSALA has brought Parent to Parent Mentor Training to its members since the 1980's. Many parents have been trained over the years, but many are still needed.
In order to support our parents as they reach out to one another the DSALA is presenting a one day workshop; "Parent to Parent Mentor Training." This training will give parents the necessary tools needed to be affective peer counselors. This training also presents the basics on DS that any parent who wants to speak on Down syndrome issues or represent the DSALA should have.
The workshop will cover up to date information on:
• Genetic information and current tests
• Why peer counseling works
• Sharing personal experiences
• What is the grieving process
• Listening skills and role play
Who will benefit:
• Any parent who want to support new parents
• Any parent who wants to become a spokesperson on DS issues or represent the DSALA speaking at hospitals, schools, and other community recourses.